I explored Flickr just by searching on "libraries", thinking I would find a photo that exemplified an ideal library. There were so many beautiful libraries, and such an amazing range of ages, architectural styles, etc., that I couldn't begin to choose just one, or even a few, as ideal. But I did come upon an interesting juxtaposition in two signs. Because I have not been successful uploading the images to this blog, I will try to describe them now and hopefully be able to upload them in the future.
The first one, http://www.flickr.com/photos/travelinlibrarian/124453103/, is the epitome of what we DON'T want our libraries to be! It is off-putting, demeaning to the intended audience, and I was gratified to see that the comments were universally in agreement that this is exactly the wrong way to convey our message to teens.
The second sign, http://www.flickr.com/photos/auntie/104031952/, is beautifully done, very professional and welcoming. What a contrast to the first one. This one expresses all the possibilities found within the library and should entice anyone to explore further.
Obviously I have a lot to learn about Flickr but the sheer enormity of it is a little intimidating. Sometimes I do better when I have fewer choices, less to deal with. I'm frustrated right now by not being able to upload to here. I get messages that make me think one site or the other (Flickr or Blogger) is having some difficulty so I will try again tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks for sharing the links to the library pictures. I too really like the second sign.
How did you try to post pictures to your blog? If you click on new post, when the screen opens to write a new post, you can click on the picture icon on the toolbar and there is a place to either upload a picture from your computer or post the URL from something like Flickr. If you have the URL, you should be able to post it. I encourage you to try again.
Also, did you look at the tag "365 Library Days Project" in Flickr? Pictures are being posted from all kinds of libraries all over the country. It's great.
Post a Comment